In the 1800s steamboats made Jacksonport a thriving river port. During the Civil War, the town was occupied by both Confederate and Union forces because of its crucial locale. Jacksonport became county seat in 1854, and constuction of a stately, two-story brick courthouse began in 1869. The town began to decline in the 1880s when bypassed by the railroad. The county seat was moved in 1891 to nearby Newport, and Jacksonport's stores, wharves and saloons soon vanished.
Today, exhibits in the park's 1872 courthouse and programs by park interpreters share the story of this historic river port. Admission to the courthouse is free.
The park offers 20 Class A campsites with water and electric hookups including 50 amp service at all sites, a swimming beach on the White River, standard pavilion, picnic sites, playground, and the Tunstall Riverwalk Trail to stroll alongside the river..
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of ArkansasLandCAN.
Jacksonport State Park is not employed by or affiliated with the Arkansas Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact Jacksonport State Park
205 Avenue Street
Newport, AR 72112
Statewide service provider in: